🔕 🔔

Is there a trick to making a rolled cake and not having crack on you when you roll it I have a good recipe for a red velvet roll but it alway

asked by Cannizzo almost 5 years ago
C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I don't know the trick, but we made one recently. It cracked when rolled -- the frosting covered the imperfections and careful placement on the serving plate helped too. Probably taking it out of the oven a little sooner would have left it more pliable, but it was so pretty and so delicious, nobody cared!

Wholefoods user icon

Lay out a (very clean) kitchen towel and dust it with powdered sugar. When you take the cake out of the oven, immediately invert the sheet pan over the towel. While the cake is still warm, roll your cake with the towel. The cake will be more pliable when it's warm, and will hold the shape as it cools (the towel will act like a placeholder for your filling!). When the cake is fully cooled, unroll it gently from and it should still have a slight curve, allowing you to fill as normal, and then neatly roll right back up for a tasty and lovely treat!

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Do you cool the cake flat then roll it, or do you roll it warm, then unroll, fill and reroll after it's cooled? Cake stiffens as it cools, so it's going to crack less if you roll it warm. See directions here: http://www.foodnetwork...

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

I would look into English baker Mary Berry's advice. She is famous for her chocolate roll- and has appeared on the Great British Bake off. She usually does have a crack or two, and I think that's part of the charm. I know she uses a piece of parchment to help roll the cake and seal it up. That's what I do, too.

Thank you for all your help the cake looks good even with cracks

Yes, Mary Berry's method is the usual for making a Swiss roll- parchment paper with a bit of caster(superfine) sugar on it, turn out the warm sponge onto it, rollit up while it's warm, lave it to cool, gently unroll, fill and reroll. It have the joy of Mary Berry every evening on tv here in the uk at the moment! A charity celeb bake off series is airing at the moment!

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I make chocolate rolls for birthdays; they usually do have a bit of a crack.
It's a good idea to trim away the very edges of the four sides with a very sharp knife so it's not crusty.
For chocolate rolls, it's nice to replace the confectioner's sugar that you'd sift onto the tea towel prior to inverting, with cocoa. Just sift it right on in the rough dimensions of the sheet pan. Makes for a nice matte surface. Later you can shake the towel outside (or into the garbage for apt. dwellers). The dry cocoa that remains on the towel will wash right out in the laundry.

I tried all of those and still my cake don't look like the picture but I will have fun keep trieing thank you all