🔕 🔔

i soaked my chickpeas overnight, now how long do they have to boil? salt water end or beginning? keep boil roiling or more simm?

asked by @jestei about 7 years ago

I do mostly what yesplease does, except I put seasonings (other than salt) in with the chick peas while they're cooking. I like dried herbes de Provence, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and both black and white peppers, freshly ground. And I always add a dried bay leaf or two.

If the peas are very fresh, they take about 45 minutes to cook. Add the salt about 10 minutes before they're done.

A7132580 ab6d 4637 9b1a ed4f3f514400  scplogoblog

I agree with yesplease and ChefJune, although I think it is important to know whether you are using the cooked chickpeas in another dish--in other words, are you preparing them to eat as is or are you preparing them as an ingredient in another dish?

As for the basics, the peas should only be brought to a boil in the initial stage, boiling is otherwise too rough on beans and they should be kept at a simmer until soft. While salt can be added to the pre soak, it should not be added to the simmer liquid--in addition to adding taste, salt also helps to break down cell walls and can make beans fall apart. My recommendation is to simmer beans until soft (usually 1-2 hours, as mentioned above, this can depend on the drying techniques or even growing conditions of the bean--it is not necessarily something you can control!) and season as you are preparing the final dish--this way you can be certain that your dish will taste exactly as you intend.

Bf69d5e3 4588 4e8f a2f8 3451571cbd6d  scplogoblog

9848bd7f 4343 4a4a 8dbc 694f97ffd18d  s538818392 1497440 3193 1

I add salt at the end.

02370539 9ee7 4f80 98d9 f25766d85e6f  ceci noci cookies zucc e papate farmers maket escaraole pork 002