🔕 🔔

@Foodpickle cooking my first Poussin tomorrow! Cook it just like chicken but with shorter cooking times? Tips? In or out of foil?

asked by @mariodc over 6 years ago

Absolutely out of foil. Where did that come from? Poussin despite the fancy French name is just a baby chicken. Roast as you would a larger bird but for a shorter time. The cavity of the poussin is just about large enough to contain a meyer lemon, which if you fork it a bit will help retain moisture and scent the meat.

B8c85549 23af 4014 8234 ae1da9266ce9  burnt offering

Just like a regular chicken. 20 minutes per pound at 400. No foil necessary if Poussin is well buttered, seasoned and trussed. Use an internal thermometer to get to 165'F, rest till it reaches 170'F

I will politely disagree with Burnt Offerings here. 165F is too, too hot an internal temperature. And at 170F you definitely will have a burnt offering---dry as hell, although the skin might be crisp; might please the USDA fedora hat guys except that they aren't going to eat it anyway. Poussin are too small to mess around with a thermometer. You just have to look at it maybe poke it with your finger. Might benefit from a baste.

I agree with pierino. I find that a pretty accurate guide is the juices in the cavity. By all means, poke a lemon with a fork and stuff it into the cavity, perhaps along with a couple of cloves of garlic. Maybe make a quick compound butter with some sage, salt, pepper, gently extend your fingers between the skin and the breast and rub the compound butter into the space. When you tip the bird and the cavity juices no longer run red or pink, dinner is ready. And perhaps not roast it above 375. Lucky you!

Aec54f46 5f2d 46d4 a8e9 920cd3c94d6d  04 04 08 2321

Guys thank you. So I'm gong to sit it on a trivet of onions, make a little compound garlic & chilli butter to smoother over it, lots of Salt & Pepper, a little lemon inside the cavity, and roast outside of foil. I'll let you know how it goes with photos, should be delicious. Thank you for the advice, as usual, your all brilliant.

Just one thing, would these be ok to spatchcock in the summer and cook on a BBQ, perhaps serve them with a mint yoghurt, and some salad perhaps?

Absolutely great to spatchcock. And being a small bird, easier to cut out the backbone. Wonderful on the grill, especially if you can cook it over lump charcoal like oak or hickory. A nice accompaniment would be an Argentine chimmichurri sauce.

And here's a recipe for grilled poussin http://www.food52.com/recipes...

I'm going to turn up at your house for dinner one night this summer!

Boulangere you are more than welcome it would be a pleasure to cook for someone other than myself. I'm a big believer in cooking well an making yourself happy. I want to be able to pass something down if I'm ever lucky enough to have kids. I feel a bit guilty you guys are great and I haven't answered any questions yet, I will! Sorry.

It's in now roasting! I'll make sure I throw some pictures up. Im really hungry, a nice burgundy breathing on the side.......Gladiator on Sky+ ha!

Absolutely! Please do post photos, and raise a glass for all of us!