🔕 🔔

Lemon vebena - Uses other than tea?

Got two big bunches of lemon verbena from my CSA. I love the fragrance, but for the life of me, can't figure out what it would go with. Other than making tea with it, any suggestions?

asked by RobertaJ over 6 years ago

2f78952a ced3 44e5 8c7e 97b17e616ec2  dsc00037

i've made some really lovely ice cream with lemon verbana. Also, you could make a fish dish of some kind and make a broth with it. Or throw it in the pot when you steam mussels or clams...

If you are interested in the ice cream recipe, let me know.

B1ff7c6d 1bd4 41c2 a1a7 c1080efe383f  cathybarrow allrecipes e 2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

I use lemon verbena in peach and strawberry jams. It's spectacular. And like rebeccatheduck, I've added it to ice cream, too.

Infuse it into cream and make creme brulee.

It will enhance just about any version of vanilla custard/pudding I can think of.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Tie up a bundle, hang it up and let it dry, then store like any dried herb. Sounds like more than you can use in a reasonable time, and possible more to come. (But try all those wonderful suggestions... I think you can steep the herb in milk to start any kind of pudding recipe, or steep in sugar syrup for other desserts.)

Okay a shamless plug here for a great recipe I learned from my very dear friend Kim Sunee. Peaches poached in Lillet Blanc with lemon verbena. You can find it in her memoir TRAIL OF CRUMBS, which is full of great recipes.

I grow it in my yard specifically to use in salad, my favorite being mixed greens, fresh mozzarella, proscuitto, & fresh mango, and a lemon vinaigrette. Toss in some fresh mint leaves, as well as the lemon verbena, if you have it.

The recipe referenced above--watermelon and goat cheese...---is out of this world!

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Creative cocktails. When it takes over my mom's garden in the summer I muddle a bunch of the leaves with with vodka, soda, whatever citrus is around, and a squirt of agave!

You could replace the mint in mojitos with verbena, and if you get your hands on some cachaca, make some swoon-worthy caipirinhas.

B374f07a 68c6 4595 a705 99ed993c08fc  coconut panna cotta small for web

Lemon verbena makes amazing ice cream and truffles. (infused in the cream in both cases) Also marshmallows.