Yeast question

Have a recipe that calls for instant yeast, and I purchased active yeast. Is there a difference? Do I have to go back to the store? Thanks in advance!

asked by SKK over 7 years ago

Melusine

No, you don't have to go back to the store. Generally, you need to use a bit more active yeast than the instant. If the recipe calls for two teaspoons instant yeast, I would use 2.5. Non-instant yeast is designed to be proofed in warm water, and then added to the dough. I've thrown it in with the flour on occasion, but if the dough isn't on the wet side, some of the granules won't dissolve.

Agree with Melusine. Proofing the yeast will also tell you it's alive.

Proportions of active dry yeast to instant are 2 to 1, so use twice as much instant and definitely dissolve it first.

davidpdx

boulangere -- since SKK has purchased active rather than instant and recipe calls for instant, shouldn't your sentence read "...so use twice as much active and definitely dissolve first"?

Thank you so much davidpdx! You are perfectly right!