🔕 🔔

Hello foodpickle any suggestions on foods that aid muscle tissue recovery the best? Thank you!

asked by @DennyYetLung almost 7 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Have a post-exercise chocolate milk!

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

I am not sure about that, but at work yesterday I used Irish moss to thicken a sauce and the chef told me it is very good for strengthening cartilage in the body. FYI :)

In case anyone is curious, you buy it dry and then soak it overnight and rinse. It can be blended into anything and works like gelatin or agar except you don't have to cook it, which makes it great for raw vegan cooking.

630adaf0 14b0 4281 abaf 083804db331c  258378233

4de32233 9b14 42ac bf6a 7a02a8474e54  dsc 0034

in general, just having a snack post-work out helps! something with protein is especially good. pb&j is easy, but a more elaborate smoothie would be good too! yogurt (or milk), strawberries, banana. or chocolate and peanut butter. or you could make some scrambled eggs! i'm thinking spinach and smoked salmon, maybe a little goat cheese.

9ac3a641 8957 4d8a b05c d028947d4131  stonecutting 32

I usually go for something with lots of protein (protein helps to rebuild muscle tissue after exercise because it is chock full of essential amino acids...it also helps you rehydrate better). Something I recently learned is that you should also eat carbohydrates with protein directly after exercise in order to maximize glycogen storage in your muscles. A post exercise fave of mine is either:
Sardines tossed with a little vinegar, garlic, and pepper over toast
OR
A fried egg (or two) on parmesan toast with wilted greens and a dressing made with oil, lemon juice, garlic, and chopped up anchovies...a deconstructed Caesar salad, if you will.

Fish protein is always a great bet for athletes because there is a high protein ration and it contains omega 3's which make running less stressful on the body because it increases the elasticity of your blood vessels, thereby increasing blood flow overall.

And Remember to stay hydrated. Muscles need water too!

Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

Protein, protein. I start the weekdays with 2-3 egg whites (not very tasty but I usually add rooster sauce or maldon salt on top) and I also have a tablespoon of peanut butter 30 minutes prior to exercising and a small chunk of cheese post workout. Not a recipe, but it works for me. And, as mentioned, fish is great.