Lemon Tart using pre-made lemon curd

I made lemon curd last night and am making the tart crust today. Normally, the curd is made and baked the same day but my curd has been refrigerated. Should I bring the curd up to room temp and then follow the recipe as usual: bake the tart shell for 10-15 min, cool, fill the tart shell w/ curd and bake for 10-15 min. This is for a dinner party tonight (of course) so I look forward to help soon. Many thanks!

763995e6 8a5f 4540 8b53 f000cf569891  img 4728

Smaug December 23, 2018

That's a new one on me- never heard of baking lemon curd after it's made, don't see why you would- it's usually put in a pre baked shell and refrigerated.

loves2eat
loves2eat December 23, 2018

Thanks so much!

Smaug December 23, 2018

I have to wonder if we're talking about the same thing- to most of us, lemon curd is a mixture of lemon, eggs, sugar and butter cooked (by all but the most gonzo) in a double boiler, but I've heard the term applied to the standard lemon meringue pie filling, which is quite different. I wonder if you might bee making something along the lines of a Key Lime Pie filling, which consists of Key lime juice, sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks; it is traditionally used uncooked, counting on the acidity of the lime to set it, but most modern recipe writers give it a brief time in the oven. I suppose the idea is either to make sure it sets or to avoid raw egg, though the recipes I've seen have had such brief baking times that I have my doubts they could accomplish either.

loves2eat
loves2eat December 23, 2018

Smaug, it really is a lemon curd, not a key lime pie filing. And it didn't call for using a double boiler so I guess I went Gonzo. It does have raw eggs, so I guess that's the issue. I agree that most curds aren't rebaked so I'm going with your original suggestion.

Smaug December 23, 2018

Ordinarily the eggs are cooked in the double boiler (or for the fearless a saucepan) along with everything else; still not sure what you're making, but I hope it works out for you.

creamtea December 23, 2018

Usually lemon curd (eggs or egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, zest, butter) is cooked on the stovetop either in a double boiler or heavy saucepan until thickened (a cooked egg custard without cornstarch). If that's what you did then it shouldn't need to be re-cooked (i.e., baked). If on the other hand you're making a lemon meringue pie, then it is usually baked or broiled (under a meringue topping).

Smaug December 24, 2018

I still bake my meringue, but I don't think the time and temperature is enough to have any impact on the filling, which is already hot- I do think it makes for a somewhat crisper meringue. Most professionals seem to use a torch nowadays; that and the broiler method are just to brown the top, I doubt that any heat at all penetrates to the filling.

loves2eat
loves2eat December 24, 2018

Thanks, again, for the assist. I didn’t bake the curd and the tart was a big hit! But I do have a question about the tart crust. The recipe calls for 2 cups almond meal mixed with 6 tablespoons coconut oil. I really don’t like the flavor of coconut oil so I subbed in butter - 8 tablespoons - which was too much so I added more almond meal. Does anyone know the right amount of butter to almond meal ratio for an 11” tart pan?

Smaug December 24, 2018

I certainly don't, but I'd be interested in seeing the recipe. On purely theoretical grounds, butter is usually about 17% water and I think coconut oil is 100%fat, so my guess would have been it would take more butter, but evidently not. The almond meal will also contain a good deal of fat and will otherwise behave quite differently from flour.