lemon tart

Can I make a lemon tart ahead of time? Such as a day? The crust has almonds, a lemon curd filing, and meringue. Would it be better to make the dough and curd the day before and assemble and bake a few hours ahead?

Christine
Christine March 19, 2012

The only issue I've had with making a lemon curd tart with meringue a day ahead is the meringue weeping a bit. I would pre-bake the crust, pour in and chill the curd ahead and then add and quickly bake the meringue closer to when you plan to eat it.

jmburns
jmburns March 19, 2012

I agree about the weeping but I also have had problems with the bottom getting a little moist. I would recommend coating the bottom with a little coating of semi sweet chocolate. It does little to change the flavor but it moisture proofs the bottom. Add merg just before serving

Christine
Christine March 19, 2012

That's a good point. I've used a couple types of crust, the crumb crust type occasionally getting a little soggy, while the cream cheese pastry was fine.