Vegan alfredo sauce recipe?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 7 years ago

what are you asking? Vegetarian? Vegan? Other?

littleknitter

It's possible to make a vegan "cheese" sauce out of potatoes, onions, garlic, and carrots cooked together, then pureed with soymilk (or water) vegetable margarine, cashews, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper. See here for a vegan mac and cheese recipe featuring this sauce:
http://www.vegnews.com/web/articles/page.do?catId=10&pageId=40
You can also make a vegan "alfredo" with nutritional yeast.

nishis

Brown crushed garlic in olive oil or margarine; add a spoon of flour and toast to make a roux. Then pour in a cup of non-dairy milk (I prefer cashew-based Mimicreme but have had success with soy). Season with salt (to taste depending on whether you used margarine).

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

You could make the cheezy sauce from Veganomicon and leave out the turmeric (that makes it yellow).
http://alisvegankitchen.blogspot.com/2008/02/pasta-with-cheezy-saucemmmmm.html

For even more creaminess you can make some cashew ricotta (recipe from the same book) and fold that in with the pasta.

Allison Rivers Samson/Allison's Gourmet

Oh yes! Try this Vegan Alfredo from my award-winning column, "Veganize It!" in VegNews: http://bit.ly/hCPfOd. Enjoy and happy cooking!

There is no such thing.