Microwave Christmas Pudding

Why does the pudding harden on cooking?

Liz D
Liz D December 29, 2018

I don't know the science behind it, but I find that starchy items, like bread, tortillas, etc., will harden upon cooling after being heated in the microwave. I think you have to be really careful not to over-heat it. I found this: https://www.quora.com/Cooking-science-why-does-bread-get-soft-then-rubbery-then-hard-after-being-microwaved

Barbara Mitchell
Barbara Mitchell December 29, 2018

Hi Liz
Thank you for your reply. I will use the conventional method from now on.
Regards
Barbara

Lori Terwilliger
Lori Terwilliger December 29, 2018

In a nutshell, the microwaves impact the molecules of different molecules differently, depending on their polarity. Water molecules are polarized, and the microwaves make them spin crazy. As a result, the water is able to escape for the starch chains binding your baked goods together, rather than sticking to them as they would with ordinary heating. This applies to all sorts of baked goods, not just Christmas pudding, but breads and rolls as well.

Barbara Mitchell
Barbara Mitchell December 29, 2018

Hi Lori
Thank you for that explanation. I will return to the conventional method of cooking the pudding.
Regards
Barbara