not too sweet granola recipe

i love granola, but a lot of brands and recipes are just way too sweet for me! does anyone have a recipe that doesn't take a lot of sugar or honey?

asked by student epicure over 7 years ago

SimplySarah

My version I make calls for using frozen juice concentrate for the main sweetener. It is 3 cups oats, 1/3 cup apple juice concentrate, 2 T to 1/4 cup brown sugar, spices and nuts as you like (i usually use a healthy pinch of cinnamon, and a touch of ginger and about 1/3 cup each of pecans, almonds and coconut flakes). Bring the concentrate to a simmer with the sugar and spices. Stir well. Toss all the other ingredients with the juice mixture. Bake at 325 until golden brown (stirring every 10 minutes or so). Toss in any dried fruits you like.

testkitchenette

I love SimplySarah's recipe and here is a link to mine also:
http://testkitchenette...

littleknitter

You could also use brown rice syrup to sweeten the granola - it is much less sweet than sugar and has the consistency of honey. It also supposedly has a lower glycemic index, although I've read conflicting things about that, so if you're diabetic I wouldn't go nuts with it just in case.

dahliat

I finally put up the recipe I've been making for years: http://www.food52.com/recipes... - not too sweet and delicious!

mainecook61

Melissa Clark's recipe for a granola made with olive oil. You can find it online in the archives of her "Good Appetite" column in the New York Times and also in her new cookbook. I make it all the time.