What is a good substitute for ground savory?

What is a good substitute for ground savory? Herbes de Provence?

• Posted by: Ryan
  • February 10, 2019

Smaug February 10, 2019

Thyme is probably your best bet for Savory. Herbes de Provence is a mixture of thyme, oregano, rosemary, basil, tarragon and chervil- possibly others, it's not a recipe written in stone-a substitute would be difficult, but if you don't have all of these you can probably get by; marjoram substitutes well for oregano, and parsley for chervil in a pinch.

Nancy February 10, 2019

Agree with Smaug.
Depending on the rest of the recipe (if it is seasoned with other aromatics and/or herbs) you might be ok just leaving it out.
Or increasing the other seasonings.

Ryan
Ryan February 10, 2019

Spice wise the recipe has worchestershire sauce, sage, onion powder, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper and then the savory. So go with thyme you think? It’s a meatloaf recipe.

Nancy February 10, 2019

Ryan -
The recipe will work with and without the thyme.
If you have it around and like it, add.
If not, the meat loaf will still be very good.
Enjoy.

Charlie Stanford
Charlie Stanford February 10, 2019

Thyme would work OK, or just leave it out, a meatloaf won't miss the one spice that much. For a spice blend, Careme's epices composees is a good one to have on hand. Sorry that I can't type the diacritical marks at the moment.