The pie emoji is coming! Hear how we helped change history. »

What is in herbs de provence?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 4 years ago

Unfortunately, many people mix whatever blend of herbs they have (or want) and call it "Herbes de Provence." I've been teaching Provencal cooking for (YIKES!) almost 30 years, and am constantly discussing this with my colleagues... Here's the consensus: MORTTS - which is Marjoram, Oregano, Thyme, Tarragon and (Summer) Savory. plus Lavender.

I used to buy them all separately andblend my own, but since then I've found I really like the blend made by Polcari's Coffee in Boston's North End, so now I just buy theirs. (https://polcariscoffee...) they'll send it to you. You can order it by the ounce.

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

I agree with ChefJune, BUT unless you use herbes de Provence on an almost daily basis buying the dried stuff is a waste of money. The dried herbs get rather "tired" fairly quickly. Once you know what the ingredients are you can master your own mix.