More Healthy Party Mix?

I am re- inventing my Curry Party Mix recipe with some healthier dry ingredients .
Yes, I know that most of you will be chuckling because Healthy Party Mix is an Oxymoron, but i am looking to replace the worthless ingredients (no flavor, no significant nutritional value, like Corn Nuts, Corn Chex, All-Bran, Puffed Brown Rice)with whole grain and protein- stronger elements. But I am NOT a nutritionist and i need more knowledge. My current version contains: roasted edamame [ used to be called soy nuts], wheat chex, roasted no- salt Va. peanuts, sesame stix, roasted cashews, and the nutritionless but flavorful goldfish/extra cheddar and mini bachmann pretzel sticks. To add further to your chuckles, I am working to significantly lessen the salt demons by : lining a bowl with a terrycloth towel, pouring in the pretzels, roasted edamame and goldfish, and rubbing the bundle to remove the salt, then lifting the mix, by handfuls,leaving the salt behind, as much as possible.

Now, the reason i'm explaining all this is not because i want you deriding me and telling me i'm crazy, but because i wondered if any of you smart 52ers might have other ingredient suggestions. wheat germ, special k, brewers yeast? etc. Please play nice and stay away if all you can bring to the table is sarcasm and attitude. Looking forward to learning from you all, and thx much for your time..

0

Nancy February 11, 2019

Brave brave Le Bec Fin!
Not a nutritionist, but I come with an idea - make homemade crackers to your taste & nutritional specs.
Either cut them small before you bake or break into pieces after you bread & add to mix.
Easy a pie to make - I favor a rolling pin and board. Tried pasta roller and found it hard bc the dough is sticky. If no rolling pin, an empty wine bottle will do.
Adjust to taste - flour, fat, seeds, etc.
There are many recipes out there. Here's one I find useful as a base to riff from (on?)
foodandwine.com/recipes/lavash-crackers

Nancy February 11, 2019

Should read: break into pieces after you BAKE

BerryBaby February 11, 2019

Air popped popcorn, shelled unsalted pistachios, pumpkin seeds, dried cherries, Wheat Chex, soy sticks for flavor boost.
BB💐

HalfPint February 11, 2019

My suggestions (and they are only suggestions) is to buy no-salt pretzels (I've seen plenty of them without when I was making David Lebovitz's spiced nut mix; I used the non-salt rings that I got at Smart & Final). It will negate the need for you to rub your mix and over-handle all the ingredients, not mention that you cannot realistically remove the salt from goldfish. They make/sell lower sodium goldfish crackers, so that's another option.

I would use roasted unsalted almonds in place of cashews for a better fat profile and more protein. You can roast almonds in the microwave which is what I do.

As Nancy also recommends, make your own crackers. Especially make your own sesame sticks. Those bad boys can contain a lot of sugar as well as salt, which may be why they taste so darn good. Serious Eats have a good recipe (I would make without the beetroot powder, which seems to be there only for color). Genius Recipes cookbook has a cracker 'recipe' that looks so simple and easy: take any cooked grains, ground to a paste, smear into a thin layer and bake until crispy.

Ttrockwood
Ttrockwood February 12, 2019

Adding popcorn is a great idea, i would toss it with a generous amount of nutritional yeast (great flavor but yeah also really nutritionally dense). I think some raisins would be great in there too, not traditional but would give a new chewy texture to the mix and also pair well with the curry flavor