Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

Why is kale so sipcy when I brreak it up?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 5 years ago

Use a little chicken stock to braise it along, it really mellows it out.

9ed12a6a b9d2 4d9d 9def 48ceb8acfccc  phoenix

Kale is one of those vegetables that needs to nurtured to bring out its sweetness. First off, large-leafed kale (dinosaur/lacinato/tuscan) isn't as bitter as its curly-leafed cousin. So if you can find it, buy that variety. As far as recipes, I have 2 favorites. One is a simple one from Moosewood Restaurant:
1. Wash & de-stem the kale & tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces.
2. Mince a few cloves of garlic
3. Heat a little olive oil in a large skillet & add the kale & garlic. Saute for a few minutes, just until the leaves start to wilt.
4. Add 1/4 cup water & 1/4 cup dried cranberries. Cover & allow to cook 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Sprinkle with salt & pepper, and serve. It's delicious!

My other favorite way to eat kale is a recipe on this website:

I used to be intimidated by kale, but it's now one of my favorite vegetables.

9ac3a641 8957 4d8a b05c d028947d4131  stonecutting 32

My all-time favorite way to eat kale is super simple: wash, de-stem, and cut into pieces. Chop up an onion and saute with olive oil in a large pan until it is caramelized. Add the kale and a little chicken/vegetable broth, then cook until the kale is tender, but not overcooked. Season with salt and pepper. You can add things like parmesan, red pepper flakes, or other spices to give it extra oomph, but this is a nice, quick way to make kale and it goes really well with a range of dishes.

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

When we lived in Virginia, my mother learned some recipes from our neighbors. One was a kale recipe that is very easy and a family favorite: Cut 1/4 lb smoky bacon into 1/2 pieces and fry until crisp in a big cast iron pan. Drain bacon on paper towels and reserve. Reserve about 2 or 3 tbs of the bacon fat, drain off the rest. Turn the pan to medium. Add in your cleaned kale cut into 2" pieces. Stir a few times to coat. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally until wilted and tender crisp. Being transplanted New Englanders we couldn't cook it to death like our neighbors... Season with cracked pepper, check for salt. You may not need any salt depending on how salty the bacon is. Serve with the reserved bacon pieces on top. You could probably get the same smoky taste substituting oil infused with smoked paprika rather than the bacon if you wanted to make it vegetarian.