Can I freeze kale?

asked by WoooPigSooie almost 8 years ago

Lexmccall

absolutely, though I think it works best if you blanch it first. (boil briefly in salted water, then dunk into cold water & drain, and chop into pieces)

Fantastic Mr Fox

Yes, but as with many vegetables, you should probably blanch it for a few seconds in boiling water and shock in an ice bath to preserve the green color and halt the enzyme action that will cause it to wilt.

Fantastic Mr Fox

(Weird when two people post the same answer at the same time). :-)

Fantastic Mr Fox

This link to the National Center for Home Food Preservation (yes, that exists) will tell you how they recommend freezing just about anything edible...

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/freeze.html

WoooPigSooie

Thanks Lexmccall! I bought some for the minestrone recipe winner (so tasty!) but didn't use the whole bag. I hate to waste it. Plus I know I want to try out the quinoa and kale recipe soon....

Fantastic Mr Fox

Go with the spinach entry for kale...sorry for the multiple posts:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/freeze/greens.html

fry it

Yes - Blanch, squeeze and freeze. I do it every year.