Switch out Gruyere cheese for WHAT in a Potato-Leek Gratin recipe?

I used this amazing recipe last Christmas for a gratin but I hate Gruyere cheese, and anything that evenly remotely tastes like Swiss. I mistakenly used cheddar instead without realizing that it's a much saltier cheese and totally ruined it! I want to make it again, but need other cheese options that are less salty and less "Swiss-y!" Thank you so much!

asked by AlyssaM over 7 years ago

nutcakes

I can't imagine a better cheese than gruyere for that. But you could use a mild cheese (mozzarella) agumented with Parmesan to add back flavor.

phyllis

I add Stilton cheese to potato & leek soup. Might be wonderful in the gratin.

Queso Quesadilla a Mexican melting cheese widely available and affordable.
Although, it might have a bit of the salty taste but far less sharp than Swiss.
I find supermarket Mozzarella a bit bland, plastic like, use the Queso Quesadilla for pizza when I can't get good mozzarella.

Try it first melted on toast before using in a recipe as taste test.

vvvanessa

is emmenthal too swiss-y? i agree with trying parmesan. it might not turn out as gooey-cheesy, but i think the flavor would be great. there's also a younger version of asiago called asiago pressato that is mild but also has the melty-gooey quality. it's my favorite (along with gruyère) in a grilled cheese sandwich.

littleknitter

Have you tried aged gouda or any of the other nutty cheeses? They provide a nice, mellow flavor that adds richness without adding salt or the stronger flavors of swiss or gruyere.

AlyssaM

You guys are awesome!! Keep the options coming!!

Queen of Spoons

I might try some inexpensive brie for creaminess, plus the parmesan for flavor & golden goodness on top. Or even some cream cheese plus the parm.

Fontina might work - fairly mild, nutty, not overly salty, melts beautifully.

nutcakes

oh the Fontina is a great idea. I thought of gouda would be good too.

AlyssaM

Nutcakes, you and I are totally on the same page. So far, Fontina and Gouda are my favorites!

latoscana

Monterrey Jack is buttery and less salty than other suggestions - kind of bland actually, but melts nicely and gives a rounded flavor.

ATG117

I'd say parm, but if you don't like pungent and salty, you might be more apt to try provolone, a great melting, relatively mild cheese. Or, for even more mild, mozzarella. I almost want to say you can do a goat cheese if you're a fan, but I'm trying to imange the goat cheese with leeks, and I'm not so sure I'm feeling that.

jeinde

One of my favorite potato gratin recipes uses feta as the cheese (yes, it is salty but potatoes do need some salt) and rosemary as the herb scattered between the layers of potatoes.

usuba dashi

I agree with fontina, as long as it is real Italian fontina, but also look for Franche Comte. I have noticed it is everywhere lately and worth the notoriety.