Broken toum

Last night, I made a successful batch of some of the most delicious toum (Lebanese garlic sauce) I have ever had, but it broke in the fridge overnight. Can it be fixed, and if so, how? Also, what can I do in the future to prevent this from happening again?

Solveig M. April 8, 2019
I've made Toum a few times and also had it break. I've never been able to fix it with the egg white method, but I've been able to fix it by starting over with garlic, salt and a tiny bit of oil to get an emulsion going, then adding the broken mixture slowly.
I don't know why your toum would have broken in the fridge, I've never had that happen to me. They say it might break if it freezes, might it accidentally have frozen?

Brie P. April 8, 2019
I also wondered about the temperature, but I'm certain it didn't freeze and my homemade mayonaise is still the perfect consistency.

Ttrockwood April 7, 2019
Any sauce with a lot of oil can be tricky! I haven’t made this myself but i trust the SE team, their notes read:
“If the emulsion breaks, it can easily be brought back together with the help of an egg white. Combine 1 egg white with 1/4 cup of the broken emulsion in the bowl of a food processor until fluffy. With the food processor running, slowly pour in the remaining broken emulsion.”

Also note the recipe method includes alternating the oil with ice water and lemon juice
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/01/toum.html

Brie P. April 8, 2019
Thanks for the idea. This was actually one of the original recipes I used and it turned out perfectly. But I wanted to avoid adding egg to fix it if I could and I still can't figure out what caused it to break in the fridge. It doesn't seem like the ratios were the problem if it came together so well initially and didn't break until hours later.