Website Question: Email notification
Peter is gonna KILL me after the storm I innocently started late yesterday,but the thread was getting long and on to another topic, so here are the questions:
1. What email domain addresses are most compatible with food52?
2. Is there anything we can do to improve notification on our end?
3. I get the weekly newlsetter without a problem, and I received a notification or two when I first joined, but nothing in weeks.
Recommended by Food52
SO...beware of this, too, an additional lesson - which is, when you delete your old comments, in g-mail, be careful not to click on the "report to spam" link which sits to the left of "delete". If so, just go to your spam box and click on "not spam" :)
Let that me a lesson to you all. Gmail is really, really good at detecting spam... but sometimes it's a little *too* good. ;-)
I just wanted to second lapadia's suggestion about a potential Technical FAQ link somewhere on the site. There are little hints of what to do found here and the comments suggestions in recipes but they are hard to find. If you miss this pickle, for example, you'd never know. Like: how do you select a picture to choose to display (hit the like picture), what happens when you don't receive food52 e-mails...well, you probably know way better than me what frequent questions are.
1. As Mrs. Larkin suggests, at the bottom of your profile, when you edit it, is the line of text "
Check this box if you'd like email updates when people interact with you." checked off?
2. I know you're using gmail to read your email but is it an actual gmail address you have registered to Food52? Or have you set things up to use gmail to read email sent to another address?
3. Just as a sanity check, I just sent you a message via your profile -- did it show up?
Unfortunately, people access our site with 44(!) different browers!
Fortunately, 97% of visits come from the big four: Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and IE.
Unfortunately, there are many, many versions of these big 4 browsers (91 versions of Firefox!)
Fortunately, they're all pretty compatible with one another.
Unfortunately, IE7 is only used by 4.57% of our visitors and supporting it is like running a whole second website.
Bottom line? I encourage you to switch to a "modern" browser. Since IE8 won't work for you in XP why not switch to Chrome or Firefox permanently?
If you use gmail or hotmail or yahoo mail I bet you get ALL our emails.
If you use an email address from Verizon or AT&T or Time Warner or SBC or some other cable or telephone company, some of our emails never get to you.
What emails are you missing? Well, you get all the email we send from "[email protected]" and you do NOT see the emails we send from "[email protected]".
What emails do we send from each address?
The newsletter and password reset emails come from "[email protected]".
Answers to pickle questions, messages from other users, and notifications that someone has become your fan come from "[email protected]". This isn't a real email address though and that's what's causing the problem.
1. Does what I describe match up with your personal experience? If so, please say so. If not, please describe how your experience differs.
2. What can *you* do to solve the problem if emails are not getting through? Honestly, you shouldn't have to do anything -- we should solve the problem. But if you're really, really impatient for us to get to this you could start using an email address at one of the providers I mention above. (which is a good idea anyway for a variety of reasons).
What are we doing to solve the problem?
3. What are *we* going to do to solve the problem? We're going to create a *new* email address called "[email protected]" and start using that. Since it will be a real email address, it should work for everyone.
Whew! I hope that makes sense to everyone. I look forward to your feedback.
messages! My primary verizon account got nada
A somewhat related suggestion: I'd like an easier way to reply to a message we receive from a member through the internal messaging system, instead of having to go to their profile and click on "send me a message".