🔕 🔔

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

I make my chaat masala from the recipe in this cookbook:
http://www.amazon.com/Indian...

It's the best chaat masala mixture I've found. If you'd like it typed out, I can do that for you later today (at work at the moment).

As for a replacement for mango powder, I've never found a good substitute. It lends sourness, so you could try something like dried barberries, perhaps. But I'd just leave it out and increase the black salt and ginger slightly (be careful!). It won't be quite the same, but it's better than messing too much with the delicate balance of flavors that makes Indian cooking so delicious and so difficult.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Various formulae fro chaat masala each one as delicious as the other, but the basic recipe calls for toasted cumin, toasted ajwain (bishops weed) black salt, dried mango powder & pepper and a pinch of chilli powder. Vary these in a proportion as per your personal taste. As to the aamchoor, it may be possible to introduce the tartness thru the addition of a pinch of citric acid crystals

Try using dry pomegranate powder as a substitute for mango powder (aamchoor). Its called 'anaar dana' powder in Indian stores. it adds a hint of sweetness that aamchoor does not have.

Neelam Batra's Chaat Masala recipe:

2 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
3 Tbls cumin seeds
1/4 cup mango powder
3 Tbls tamarind powder
2 Tbls black salt
1 Tbls ground ginger
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt, or to taste
1 tsp ground cayenne pepper, or to taste (optional)

Place the carom seeds in a small, heavy nonstick skillet and roast over moderately high heat until they start popping, about 2 min. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.

Place the cumin seeds in the same skillet and roast over moderately high heat until it is fragrant and turns a few shades darker, 2-3 min. Transfer to the bowl with the carom seeds. Cool for a few minutes and grind in a spice grinder and transfer back to the bowl.

Mix in the remaining ingredients.

Return the mixture to the skillet and roast for 1 to 2 min to blend the flavors. Cool and store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place. Chaat masala stays fresh for 6 to 9 months in the refrigerator.

Makes about 1 cup

I forgot this used tamarind powder. If you have tamarind powder, I would use some of that in place of the mango powder. It has similar tart properties. Don't replace too much of it with tamarind, though. I like Panfusine's idea to use dry pomegranate powder also. Good luck!