Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Calling all Maryland Food52ers for help with dining recommendations for weekend trip. Flying into Baltimore early Saturday, driving to Frederick for a wedding on Saturday night, and leave late Sunday night from Baltimore. Looking for recommendations on (a) someplace to eat lunch on Saturday on the drive to Frederick or in Frederick, (b) breakfast in Frederick on Sunday, and (c) great Maryland seafood dinner in or around Baltimore on Sunday. Would love Maryland crab (crabcakes, softshell crab, blue crab, etc.). No plans on Sunday so thinking of grabbing breakfast around Frederick, then maybe visiting a winery or two, and heading into Baltimore but we are open if anyone has any other suggestions. Thank you.

asked by melissav about 6 years ago
549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Are you looking for upscale dining or possibly crab shack style? On the upscale end, Volt, Bryan Voltaggio's (Top Chef) restaurant is in Frederick. There are some great seasonal crab places more towards Annapolis that might work for you if you're open to that kind of place.

D22e715c 166f 4578 8ad4 1e169fc809ba  ry 400

Either really. Just want good food. I tried to get into Volt on Saturday for lunch and they told me they were booked until November. We may just try to walk in to the lounge on Saturday for lunch if we don't stop on the drive. Can you recommend some of the great seasonal crab places around Annapolis that you mentioned? Thank you!

Have been to Cantler's many times - sort of divey looking, but good crabs. I haven't strayed to far from the crabs on the menu. Best to go at a little bit off hour to avoid crowds. For info go to www.cantlers.com. There are a few threads on yelp too. A friend swears by Drift Inn, but I think that might be too far South for you - it's in "Southern Maryland" which is actually a point of land closer to VA. Have reached out to my foodie cousins in Baltimore and Ellicott City for other ideas for you! Too bad about Volt - November!

5ad1dc2e 72ce 451f a54d 3029579e760a  img 1281

Go to Cantlers, its a worthwhile trip and you must sit outside, you'll enjoy their crabs/crabcakes and everything else on the menu. I am from Annapolis and besides picking crabs up and eating in your backyard, thats the next best thing. If thats what you want to pick crabs, you'll have a blast , get a bucket of beer and enjoy!

I can't believe I forgot about Woodberry Kitchen in Baltimore. It's not a crab "shack" like Cantler's, but a farm to table Chesapeake regional focus. I haven't been yet, but it's supposed to be terrific. www.woodberrykitchen.com. Also, if you find you need to eat nearer to BWI airport at some point, Ellicott City is quite close by - you could try Victoria Gastro Pub or Iron Bridge Wine Co.

Thank you both for the great suggestions. Much appreciated!

We went to Cantlers last Sunday and really enjoyed. It was our first time picking crabs and the waitress was so helpful. We had a blast and can't wait to pick some more crabs! Thank you for the suggestion!

glad you liked it! Hope you had good weather here and not the torrential rains.