Substituting baby octopus for octopus.

I have a recipe calling for 2 lbs. of octopus. There are only 2 of us so 2 lbs. of octopus seems ambitious. And really, I'm a little squeamish about removing an octopus head. I purchased 3/4 of a pound of baby octopus instead. How long should I boil it for? Or should I steam it instead. Or???? Help, please!

asked by Summer of Eggplant over 7 years ago

francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

Generally there are two ways to attack octopus, baby octopus, and calamari: a quick sautée or a long steam or boil (or deep fry -- be my guest!). The goal of opting for one or the other is to avoid a chewy, rubbery texture. Personally, I flash sautée these suckers (no pun intended) in a pan with olive oil, garlic, and peperoncino. Honestly, a few minutes is all it takes -- you want them to look opaque, bright purple and white, and browned from the pan. Do not leave them in to long! You can deglaze with white wine for a second, if you like or want to make a little pan sauce, but then a squeeze or lemon, and chopped parsley is all you need.

Summer of Eggplant

Thank you, that sounds great. I certainly will go that route in the future. These were very small, I boiled them in salted water with a penny for about 5 minutes, it may have been too long. I also found this video which was very helpful. http://www.youtube.com...