A question about a recipe: Mung Bean and Shrimp Soup (Ginisang Monggo)

11c27984 59b6 4dd3 9a56 581e7f8eb567  040111f mung 02

I have a question about the recipe "Mung Bean and Shrimp Soup (Ginisang Monggo)" from betteirene. Do you think I need to soak the mung beans overnight?

asked by healthierkitchen over 7 years ago

betteirene

No: The long, hot, luxurious soak takes the place of the overnighter. Mung beans cook up quickly, more like split peas than beans.

I didn't mention that this is Filipino "poor man's food" and that it's served with (or on top of, like gravy) boiled white rice, as is everything in the Philippines. I like it better with a slice of bread with butter.

Garnish it with some canned La Choy bean sprouts to make it come full circle. Have fun!

healthierkitchen

thanks betteirene!