🔕 🔔

I have a bag of small white beans. I'm making soup that needs these beans tonight. It says I need to soak overnight. My soup recipe says I ca

Put in boiling water remove and let sit for an hour. Should I just omit the beans or do the boiling water method??

asked by Tasha about 2 years ago

The boiling water 1-hr trick is called a quick soak. Perfectly fine to do. Drain after the soak and then cook the beans in fresh water. Enjoy your soup ;)

C1ea1f13 8f50 4d99 a9f7 06ed2b62c690  image

So once this is done can I add it to my soup or do I have to cook them in water?

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

You need to cook the beans either separately in fresh water or if making a long cooking soup, you can add them right in. Normally, beans after soaking, take around 45 minutes to cook. I usually cook the beans separately and then add them to the soup towards the end.

So I boiled them and let them sit covered for over an hour. At that point they'll be cooked right? Haha obviously this is my first time cooking beans from a bag and not a can!

I would follow the recipe. If they are talking about a quick soak, they are planning on you using dried beans. If the recipe says to cook the beans as part of the soup, then do that. If it tells you to cook them separately and then add them, do that. We are at a disadvantage because we can't see the recipe.

695013bb 6175 44d4 9967 d3fa0ab27033  stringio

They should be left in the hot water for an hour- did you mean remove from heat? They tend to break apart quite a bit with this type of presoak- probably OK for soup, but I sometimes do a hybrid where I remove them from the hot water after about twenty minutes and soak in cold for about 3 hrs.- works well for cooking in the afternoon.

I just turned the heat off and left them on the burner.

You will still need to cook the beans. Either in the soup or otherwise. Expect them to take about an hour to become "beanlike."

Thanks so much for everyone's help

They worked out perfect.