How to increase protein in a chocolate chip cookie recipe?

I'm thinking of using Molly Wizenberg's whole wheat choc chip cookie recipe (http://orangette.blogspot.com/2010/11/i-am-sold.html) and the cookies will be shipped (after taste-testing!) to Afghanistan for my bro-in-law & friends. Could I add or sub something to up the protein?

asked by puresugar over 7 years ago

beyondcelery

Sub about 4oz of the butter with peanut butter. Also add shelled roasted sunflower seeds. The combination will produce a complete protein, as well as some serious deliciousness.

fiveandspice
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

I agree with Syronai's suggestion. You could also try almond or another nut butter in place of the peanut butter. Or simply add chopped nuts to the recipe as it is.

beyondcelery

Sorry, 4 Tbls, not 4oz of peanut butter!

Do you feel like experimenting? I'd consider substituting no more than 1/4 of the flour with fava bean flour (9g protein per quarter cup.)

Hulled hemp seeds! Have a great nutty taste, are tiny. Can be found at Whole Foods and other specialty stores in the refrigerated section. Check them out, really low fat, and high in all the good stuff. And this is not what grows marijuana - totally different family. When I am in a hurry I eat a tablespoon or two raw and have a lot of nutrients.

StacyG

All these additions reminds me of a Ranger Cookie. A chocolate chip cookie with oatmeal, cereal flakes, nuts and/or coconut etc...yummy!

tizzle

Also try subbing half the AP flour with white whole wheat flour (see link below). It's a sneaky way to add a bit of protein. Not as much as adding nuts (toasted, of course!) or a nut butter, but every little bit helps! Plus the taste and texture are still chewy/crispy, thanks to Our Friend Butter.

White whole wheat flour (brand name is shown here, but I get mine from Trader Joe's):
http://www.kingarthurflour...

FoodieGoesHealthy

Try substituting a little of the flour with almond flour (I bought some at Trader Joe's). Adds an amazing flavor to cookies!

innoabrd

I'm not a terrific baker, but I wonder if there's a way to use milk powder?

BTW, when Xmas comes, gingerbread men ship really, really well. My mother sent them to me years ago when I was in the Peace Corps...

puresugar

Thanks, everyone. I plan to try many of these ideas, as I have a cookie habit anyway! Thanks to you & FoodPickle, I'm becoming a smarter cook!