Vanilla extract needed in chocolate chip cookies?

Is it necessary to add vanilla when making chocolate chip cookies?
Will it make a difference in taste if left out?

I am allergic to vanilla...:(

Thanks!

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 7 years ago

In my opinion you can leave it out and the difference in flavor will be negligible. Vanilla always adds to the flavor but in this case leaving it out will be fine and you probably would not notice any difference.

wssmom

I agree with sdebrango, it can be left out; that being said, i often substitute bourbon or run for vanilla in baking.

Lilly Lafontaine

Imitation vanilla. It's like margarin only with vanilla instead of butter. ( Sorry, that's a bad example of something it's like )

ATG117

I don't think you can taste vanilla in chocolate

Try adding another flavoring instead of vanilla. You could use grated orange peel or a bit of finely chopped candied ginger.