🔕 🔔

Can anyone recommend a good candy thermometer?

I bought a digital from Sur La Table to make the Salted Pumpkin Caramels.
First--It became possessed when I was washing it/steralizing right out of the package. My EE husband got it under control and blamed me for its posession. Machines never misbehave, its the user. :-p

However, when making the caramels, as the temperature was rising from boiling, the thermometer was reading that it was lowering, and eventually just went crazy.

So, I'm happy to know the original posessed behavior is explainable.

Anyway, I found that the readout was not legible when the device heats up.

I'd be grateful for your input and suggestions:)

asked by Angel over 6 years ago

3453acc5 6dc9 4a37 aee3 6015bd27590a  profile pic

I have had the same issues with several brands of digital thermometers, which I used for candy making (and am happy to know now that I am not alone!). I have gone back to the Taylor brand of conventional clip-on candy thermometers. They are easy to read and have never failed.

The brand that I use is Polder, it also has a setting that will alert you when your max temp is reached. I have never had a problem w/ digital thermometers.

Taylor clip-ons have been my go-to for several years also. Easy to find, not expensive.

Ecceef37 0588 4309 a769 91c15e376117  me and fb bw

Boulangere and Zaftig--This digital is a Taylor. Is it safe to assume that your Taylor's are not digital? ******************
Spiffypaws-thanks for your suggestion!

Very safe! Non-digital.

8373933a 8619 45b5 97b1 26d9c4ebc780  foodieflirt headshot black

I had a clip-on thermometer that worked like a charm before I lost it. I bought it at a grocery store and it was inexpensive. Although it was ginormous and not that sexy looking but it worked fabulously. Never had a problem with it.

Fae0d6f7 8a18 416a 87a4 62ef806db1e7  41527 674956185 319240 n

Like FoodieFlirt, I've had good results with an inexpensive clip-on thermometer from the grocery store. Mine is similar to: http://www.amazon.ca/Danesco... except that it has a stainless steel sheath to protect part of the thermometer. I like mine because it's easy to read in both Celsius and Fahrenheit.

Another style of analog clip-on is something like: http://www.amazon.ca/Taylor... with a temperature dial on top, and they've even included a little guide for candy making temperature.

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

I have this cheap (about $10) and perfectly serviceable one: http://www.amazon.com/InstaRead.... Works fine and appears to be fairly indestructible. I like it because it clips on and the face is large enough for me to see clearly.

94044828 d989 4cb6 bb8c 0aa3b3325df6  caramels 3

I've used this Redi-Chek digital thermometer for years (and I'm a commercial candy maker) http://www.google.com/products...# It's inexpensive, easy to read, indicates temp and also stage of cooking (soft ball, hard ball, etc), clips to the pot and is very durable.

Yes, I tried Taylor digital, as well as other brands, and went back to their conventional thermometer.