Can you freeze chicken liver mousse/pate?

I really want to try this one recipe, but a whole pound of livers! I think I may be the only one in the family willing to eat it, but I can't do it all. Or should I just plan breakfast lunch and dinner around some pate?

boulangere March 31, 2011

It's not a good idea to freeze it because of the fresh whipping cream. Alternatively (a) make a full batch and pack some of it into small jars (I recycle small glass jars aggressively for situations just such as this) and give to friends or neighbors; or (b) make a half or quarter batch if you're lucky enough to be able to purchase chicken livers in fractions of a pound. I cook for one (me!), so would have trouble eating a whole batch of this by myself, so I often give pots of it away. I always owe someone some sort of thanks for a favor.

hardlikearmour March 31, 2011

If you are using a recipe that doesn't have the whipping cream or hard boiled egg in it you can freeze it. The part that is touching air will likely grey a bit - i'd press some plastic wrap or parchment paper onto it to try to prevent this. If you are making boulangere's finalist recipe, maybe you could make it up to the point you add the cream, and freeze at that point?

boulangere March 31, 2011

Oooh, HLA, good idea! Thaw it overnight in the fridge, let come to room temp the next day, scrape into food processor, add cream, and voilà! You are brilliant!

nutcakes
nutcakes March 31, 2011

I've been told not usually. But I've made a to-die-for pate from Jacques Pepin that he says freezes well (I've not tried it)
http://www.foodandwine...

Sam1148 March 31, 2011

I love good pate. But sometimes I want something quick, easy.
braunschweiger (liverworst) from the deli. Nuke 20 seconds to warm, add some butter and a touch of A1 sauce. Mash it together.

take the top of a butter dish, line with plastic wrap and cool. To make a mold. Unmold and slice.

Serve with water crackers, fruit, cheeses, and gherkin pickles.

Greenstuff April 1, 2011

You could certainly take hardlikearmour's advice and freeze boulangere's recipe without the cream. You could also freeze just chicken livers--either before or after cooking. Some people freeze livers and other giblets as they get them with individual chickens, storing them up until they have enough to do something. If you did that, I'd suggest freezing the livers separately from the rest of the giblets.

sarah k.
sarah k. April 1, 2011

I thought it might be a stretch, but I didn't realize it was just the cream that would present difficulties. I already have a pound of livers in the freezer, and was waiting for the perfect recipe, but I think they've been in there a few weeks already, so it's time. I desperately want to try boulangere's recipe, but honestly, I have no idea if any of my neighbors would welcome a gift of pate.

Oh, screw it! I'm just gonna make it! Maybe my kids will surprise me.

boulangere April 1, 2011

That's the spirit, Sarah k!