Cumin and Coriander Seeds didn't break down in soup

recipe called for whole seeds and I followed in spite of my gut feeling that it wasn't a good idea soup is lentil with butternut squash and more will an immersion blender help? biting into seeds makes it inedible anyone? thanks so much

muscari
  • Posted by: muscari
  • March 19, 2020

C S. March 20, 2020
I use whole seeds all the time, but grind them in a mortar and pestle before adding them to the soup.

Caroline M. March 19, 2020
Hi Muscari, unfortunately I think they're too small to be blended by the immersion blender... you'd likely have to pulse them in a blender/vitamix before putting them in the soup, but like Nancy said, your best bet at this point is either to embrace their character or strain them out!

muscari March 19, 2020
how great is this site? thanks so much.
just curious . . . would you ever follow a recipe that called for whole cumin and coriander seeds for a soup?

Caroline M. March 20, 2020
I don't think I would, personally!

Nancy March 24, 2020
Only if you put the seeds (and other whole seasonings like bay leaf and peppercorns) in a permeable pouch or tea ball to remove after cooking.

Nancy March 19, 2020
If you put the soup in a blender ir processor, you will get more effective breakdown of whole spices
With an immersion blender, they might pass by or between blades.
Or strain, remove the seeds, and put the others solids and liquids back together.