🔕 🔔

Canned pigeon peas: beige or green?

I bought a can of pigeon peas -- never had 'em before, but I like every other kind of pea and bean so I thought it'd be worth a try. On the label they're green (and look a lot like green peas) but out of the can, they're more beige than green, and resemble large lentils. Is this right? Or has the pigeon flown the coop? ;-)

asked by pnoeric about 6 years ago
0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

They can be either...I think it depends on when they were canned and harvested. I've seen cans with a mix of the brown and green. They have an earthy flavor, nothing like a green pea.
IMHO, next time get black-eyed peas; or 'cow peas' (Frozen) to mix with rice for a tasty complete protean. Simmer with garlic, stock, onions. A touch of oil (or bacon fat). And serve over rice with Worcester sauce.

A1ef59eb f255 4a1d ae57 e7cdf5a05674  bunny head 200x200

Hi Sam, thanks! I love black-eyed peas and your recipe sounds fantastic... thanks for the reply. Sounds like my pigeons are probably fine to eat, too.