🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Louisa's Cake

251ea3fb bebc 4b20 bc02 c3a1e935504f  2016 0309 italian lemon ricotta cake for easter james ransom 041

I have a question about step 2 on the recipe "Louisa's Cake" from SML Office. It says:
"Cream the butter and sugar in a standing mixer until light and fluffy."

I'm attempting this tonight SANS standing mixer...Are there any other "minimalist" cooks like me who mix by hand?? I'm thinking a whisk and some muscle would work....suggestions? comments?

asked by bklyncook over 6 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

It can be done, though I'd probably use a wooden spoon rather than the whisk. Make sure your butter is nicely softened, too.

I like to start with a sturdy fork to get things going and then switch to a whisk when the butter softens a bit. It's hard to start with a spatula, but it does help get it fluffy in the end. I have a stand mixer and still choose this option sometimes because I don't want to lug that thing off the shelf.

whoops... I meant whisk.... not spatula.

05667901 1124 4aa7 9b63 09e277840442  dsc04589

The whisk didn't work out so well, ( had a whisk FULL of creamed butter at one point) but a fork followed by a wooden spoon did the trick...

04c2f784 cf7d 477a a28b 15b33564b5b1  fb avatar

I just use a fork.