🔕 🔔

...I'm making crab cakes and the mixture isn't binding. Do I need more breadcrumbs or egg?? thanks

asked by @susie_white2001 over 6 years ago

Try another egg first. If it feels too gooey, add a touch more breadcrumb.

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

NOOOOOO . . .the best crab cakes on the Eastern shore of Maryland (home of the best crab cakes in America) will have little binder. They go into the oven or into a saute pan VERY loose and come out the same way. You might as well buy Mrs Paul's crab cakes in the freezer case if you are going to bind it all up. Keep away from the breadcrumb and just use a tiny bit of egg white and season to taste. Less is more.

Fbc31129 dd77 4f50 92da 5ddc4a29c892  summer 2010 1048

It's probably too late but I'd be curious to know what you've already got in the mixture? I agree with usuba dashi that you want to keep it loose, you especially don't want to over-handle it and break up the lovely clumps of backfin. I use one egg to a pound of crab meat (a mixture of "special" and lump backfin is classic) and a tablespoon of mayo to bind. Ok, thanks now I'm craving a crab cake and homesick for Maryland to boot;)

usuba dashi, I wondered where you go for crab cakes on the Eastern Shore? It's been a while since I've been there, but the Narrows in Kent Island are the best I've had at a restaurant.

Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

Sometimes putting them in the fridge for 15-20 minutes will help to firm crab cakes up before you saute or bake. Sounds yummy . . . homemade crab cakes are the best!