🔕 🔔

Do I need to make a roux when making crab bisque?

asked by Bippy almost 5 years ago

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

It's one way of making sure you have a nice, thick soup, but it's not a requirement.

A4193e84 5c13 421d aeb9 f589dd2a81c0  ruthyk sm
Omeletta

Ruthy is a Recipe Tester for Food52

It's not absolutely imperative, but it does help the overall texture and flavor of the bisque. If you're looking for a way to make bisque GF, I've had success by cooking onions way way down (not browning, but with lots of butter or olive oil) and then blending them with an immersion blender. It's not the nutty flavor of a good roux, but it helps with the thickness and texture.

9a61d3c7 2821 4579 8601 c61c43d1c19f  img 0472

I have never made a bisque without a roux! But there are certainly a few ways to thicken a soup, a roux isn't essential.

The traditional thickener for a bisque is rice, so no you don't need a roux.

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

Every time I am in New England visiting friends, anytime I have a bisque, it is never thickened with a roux or white wash, just the natural thickness of good double cream. And I would trust they know how to make their bisques in New England!