🔕 🔔

I bought a bunch of Hatch chiles last week. I roasted them. Now what do I do? Anyone have a clever recipe?

asked by Bowmgbo about 7 years ago

D1964e69 bde7 422d 9621 9d8c1f7bc3cf  newliztoqueicon 2

We go to Northern New Mexico once or twice a year. This year, I got smart and bought Hatch chilis for $1.99 at Whole Foods. Turn on your broiler. put the chilis on a half sheet pan and broil, turning every 3-4 minutes or so until they are pretty much blackened. This isn't a science but be sure to let them cool before freezing. DO NOT PEEL before freezing. I did a dozen and split them into 2 baggies. Peel them before using in a recipe.

D740fa29 f196 4c65 99af 9ffc410e61ad  hatch chiles0001

I have lots of recipes for New Mexico Green Chiles on my site: www.mikeschiles.com and my blog: www.mikeschiles.blogspot...

I usually buy about 2 bushels of chilis each fall. There are a couple school's of thought about freezing them, but here are my thoughts:

--I just cut off the top and most of the seeds and peel them. Personally, I don't want to mess with peeling them when I go to use them because they're always in a huge frozen ball that I just like to defrost a bit and chop.

-- They will get spicier when you freeze them. The membranes will burst a bit (or something, not sure of the science exactly) as they freeze and become spicier if you don't remove them.

--I like to dice some and freeze them in ice cube trays and then put them into a big freezer bag. That way you can use 1 tablespoon of chilis at a time without defrosting a whole bag.

Recipe ideas:

In addition to the standard green chili sauce, I love them in:

white chicken chili (garlic, cumin, canellini beans, corn, chicken, etc) or pork green chili stew (garlic, onions, cumin, hominy, pintos, cubed pork shoulder).

Stuffed chilis: with the unfrozen ones, mix shredded cheddar, feta, corn, evoo, pine nuts, cilantro, and s+p and stuff and bake. Serve with black beans.

Salsa: put a bunch of chilis in a blender with some tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, evoo, and s+p. Blend up and enjoy.

I can send you more detailed recipes...

Hatch chilis really do have an affinity for pork. The tricky thing with using them is that the heat level (in Scoville units) can be all over the map. The color doesn't offer a clue. They can also be used in an enchilada style sauce combined with onion, cilantro and tomatillo. For a cheese filling I would recommend a Mexican style queso fresco. Finish with a little Crema Mexicana.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I make this a LOT .... http://www.food52.com/recipes...

94d3d922 0c09 4916 9398 e8dc022fa2d0  lobster 001

Salsa!!!

96a14a05 15da 42e2 8a19 f23e01dc2bbc  5254970837 532a2f2e67

Lucky! My favorite Texas grocery store, Central Market, has a hatch chile festival every year. They roast chiles on site and serve lots of Hatch chile dishes in their prepared food section (which I always make a point to sample). Here is their recipe website: http://www.centralmarket...

14ce7dbb fd9c 4fcd b8a5 6a86abe01445  111

I love Hatch chiles! I like to roast them, remove the skins, chop them finely, and mix them with goat cheese. I eat it with crackers as a snack or over roasted or grilled veggies for dinner.