🔕 🔔

And your mystery basket contains...

Fresh pork hock, Hatch chiles, savoy cabbage,okra,heirloom tomatoes...and of course our well stocked pantry. You can use some or all of the ingredients (did I mention grits?). What would you do, thrill seekers?

asked about 4 years ago

13832e73 8bcd 46ca a3d2 f85008fe06c1  img 6728 a

I would braise the savoy cabbage with the ham hock, chilies, okra and tomatoes (using a combination of vegetable stock with dark beer or wine) and serve over creamy, soft polenta with tons of grated Italian cheese (Romano or Pecorino).

4421619e f544 4703 9273 6e95dc123a79  black picture small

I would braise the pork hock til tender, shred. Meanwhile, grill the chilies and okra, along with white onion; toss the peeled chilies , chopped okra, onion with pork hock and cumin, oregano, a little grits for binding and salt and pepper. I would use this filling and roll blanched savoy leaves with it. Make a fresh salsa with tomatoes, onions, etc and pour over the rolls; bake til tender and hot.

Fca4e46d 262a 416c 8ce5 316470249de2  565101 1406091363 1702312332 n

I would brown, then braise the hocks with onion, peach and some of the chiles, then shred the meat, strain and simmer the cabbage in the liquid until it reduced to glazey goodness adjusting sweet with a bit of lime. Meanwhile the tomatoes would slow roast with a bit of olive oil, s&p, thyme and garlic until browned in bits and then mashed into a jam. I would thinly slice the okra, crust it in cornmeal and make fries. Then the ham and cabbage would be piled on a toasted bun with a thin spread of mayo and a green of some sort, served with fries and jam.

3d9a3882 c161 441f 8a91 0efd10979f7c  2007 09 11e s4

Ask or a do-over. I don't cook if there is any okra within half a mile.

WileyP my friend, you and I are dwelling on different planets that are more than a half mile apart. I come from planet okra. I can't get enough of it. I love it in gumbo, deep fried, wok stir fried whatever. Bring it! And bring some pig too.

E6f5e079 1551 4472 bc70 dcc35a71edc2  110

I'd love to play, but the basket has nothing I know anything about. How about a live chicken, some cucumber seed, and about nine months head start?

since the hock is fresh Id bone it out, then braise it. stuff it with cabbage, bacon, and mushrooms. chill, slice, bread on one side and pan fry. Id make a jus with the braise, and thicken it with the okra. set on the grits and garnish with frissee and coarse mustard.

I would braise the hock and cabbage with sweet onion in stock and serve over grits or polenta. Roast the hatch chiles and make a new
mexico greenchile sauce that would top the braised hock and then serve as sides the okra grilled with a sweet corn black pepper butter and the tomatoes sliced with salt, olive oil and basil

Pierino, I respect your appreciation for the vile vegetable. Seriously I do. And I am oh, so happy you feel that way. For by doing so, I am certain that a trainload or two of the vile creation that were due to be delivered to my area have now been diverted to your area. I will, however, stand beside you and fight to the death for the right to cook and consume sus critters! ;]