A question about a recipe: Chocolate Pudding: Does the tapioca cook with the hot milk?

I have a question about step 2 on the recipe "Chocolate Pudding" from amanda. It says:

"Combine the sugar, cream, milk, salt, and vanilla in a saucepan set over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, then remove it from the heat. Turn the blender containing the egg and tapioca mixture back on low. Quickly and carefully, pour the hot milk mixture into the blender and increase the speed to medium. The heat will cook the egg yolks and allow the tapioca to thicken to the consistency of thick mayonnaise."

• Posted by: Marga
  • April 9, 2011
370a78a5 6aa0 4875 ab8d 290f7d500671  040511f 213
Recipe question for: Chocolate Pudding

Amanda Hesser April 9, 2011

Yes it does -- both the eggs and tapioca flour do. That's the magic of this recipe because it all happens in the blender -- the cooking, the aeration, etc. Good luck with it!

sboulton
sboulton April 10, 2011

I have used this technique for years to speed up the process in making banana cream pie. Soooooo easy!