When will ramps begin to arrive at the NYC Farmer's Markets?

I eagerly trolled through every booth of the Union Square Farmer's Market and no one had ramps. Of course, I was too groggy to think to actually *ask* any of the vendors when they'd have ramps in... so does anyone know when they'll start to pop up in NYC?

I think it's a bit early but I've been seeing them on some menus.

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

betteirene

Silly Peter. . .ramp season doesn't start until Martha Stewart says it does. ; )

Seriously now. . .here's a lead on a provider for you. http://gothamist.com/2006/04/26/whats_fresh_ram.php

Didn't you all people out east have a particularly bad winter? The season could be delayed by a week or two if the soil was frozen longer than usual.

ProducerCC

Hi, Peter. Mountain Sweet Berry Farm had a few ramps today at 8am but they were probably long gone by the time your groggy butt got out of bead to search for them :) The mushroom guy at the West Village Farmer's Market may start to carry them but not yet. Possibly in a few weeks. The Vegetable store in Chelsea Market has them, and fiddlehead ferns too but they didnt look good. Wilted and old. Hold out for Sweet Berry's next week. That's what I plan to do. They're the best!

I just started seeing some of them popping up out of the ground at my secret location. So I'm guessing you might get some in the next week or so! I foraged mine on May 1 last year.

nomnivorous

Brooklyn Kitchen/The Meat Hook in Brooklyn has West Virginian ramps in store now, FYI.