🔕 🔔

Farmers market produce

I started purchasing produce from a vendor at the farmers market who I didn't used to frequent. He had some great variety on peppers, eggplants, and purple carrots. But I was really disappointed with the taste, which made me wonder whether I had too high expectation or whether there is something that can distinguish one grower from another in terms of the quality of their produce. I should also mention that it been a lot warmer here than it Gould be this time of year. Last week, we still had the end I tomatoes and peaches.

asked by ATG117 over 4 years ago

megabals

To be fair, on many new varietals of fresh-market vegetables, the pendulum has begun to swing back towards flavour rather than pure asthetics. Much sweetness and flavour is developped in the summer's heat - even with a blast of late hot weather, an eggplant that ripened in the month of September is not going to have same brix or flavour of one in July or August.

Valentina Solfrini

Were the vegetables particularly big, or looked 'perfect' (no bruises in the skin, even color, etc)?
I live in a place with a big vegetable garden, and tasty, juicy produce from my garden never looked perfect or even - and it shouldn't. Tastier produce tends to be smaller and it might not be super smooth, so consider this when shopping at farmers markets. We still have eggplants and green beans too, but they kind of suck now - as they should.
I fully agree with the answers above!

ATG117

I've started to suspect that the produce may not be as fresh as that from someof the other stands. His produce seems not to last as long once I bring it home. I'm interested in the comment about small vegetables often being tastier bc the one vendor that only sells tomatoes/peaches and apples (which are always supeb) told me once that bigger fruit is always better and juicier.