Today's the last day of our NYC Holiday Market. So come see us! »
🔕 🔔

Anyone have any flavor-packing tofu recipes for the first time tofu eater?

I gave up red meat for Lent this year...unbeknownst to me at the time I agreed to this, pork is in fact, a red meat. The slogan from the 80's "The Other White Meat" was strictly a marketing ploy to raise public interest and sales in pork, the then step-child of the meat world...but I digress...
I have been doing great not eating beef or pork for the past 32 days, and I just have 14 more days to go...but I am running out of ways to prepare chicken, and as much as I would love to eat shrimp or fresh fish every day, my wallet thinks otherwise...
So, I was hoping to get some ideas on how to prepare tofu. I love spicy foods, full of flavor...but I am open to any recipes any of you may have.

Thanks!

asked by MHardison79 over 5 years ago

Try looking at the recipes submitted to the Bulk Bins contest. Many grains, such as kamut (aka farro), the various colors of quinoa, beans of course in combination with many rices are very high in protein and make excellent protein substitutions. Think beyond tofu!

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Yes, It might require some specialty items from an Asian market to make outstanding tho.

Basic: put the tofu on paper towels and top with another towel. Put on a weight on top..use the firm tofu.
Slice it like large french fries. Coat with seasoned (just salt) cornstarch and shallow fry.

The sauce: A mix of soy sauce, a touch of sugar, mirin (optional), Sake or sherry;a hint. And a stock to thin it out a bit, dashi is the best--and you can find that powdered in markets.

Garnishes: Grated radish, Green onions/chives, Bonito flakes.
I do not care for this dish at most Japaneese resturants as they tend to make huge blocks of tofu. One did the 'french fry' cut..and it was spot on.

You could also use the fried tofu with a dressing of mayo or yogurt mixed with siriachi sauce and thai sweet chili paste.

36da2be9 52d9 4197 887b d6388fd7dba2  winter2010

Boulangere - will definitely check out some of those recipes

Sam1148 - Thanks for that, I was gonna ask about frying it. My fridge is like an Asian market, so I should have no problem there :)

@Mhardison79.
Thanks.
For "cheap fish". Look at lastnightsdinner recipe for scallops with spring onion sauce.

But, for cheap..I posted in the comment about using talapia. I used the bulk vacpac frozen talapia---about 8 bucks for 8 portions. It worked great! Beautiful and one of the better things I've had this year. I still have some left over sauce (it keeps well)...I'll be using that with asparagus tomorrow.

I like to marinade firm tofu in honey/soy/garlic/ginger overnight, crust it in some macadamia nuts that have been pulsed in the food processor and then bake it. Kecap Manis works in a pinch too.

My family really loves the baked tofu recipes from the Moosewood cookbooks. They're pretty simple. The one we use the most is Simple Baked Tofu from the Moosewood Daily Special, but there are some fantastic stovetop recipes in their new Cooking for Health book that include a miso marinade and a pomegranate marinade, and both are outstanding. If you want, I'll post any of those that sound appetizing. The baked tofu is great with peanut sauce and noodles, or as a snack just plain. I have to double the recipe, because my kids devour it. Sam1148's recipe is pretty similar, just add some sesame oil, and optional ketchup. I like to bake them until they're getting crispy.

I completely forgot the whole reason for my joining this thread! There's this recipe that Mark Bittman published a while ago that sounded so intriguing to me, though I've never gotten around to making it, partly because it's supposed to be flaming spicy, and one of my kids with actually puke if she tastes even the tiniest bit of chili-anything, so I just haven't bothered. It sounds neat, though... here's the story:
http://www.nytimes.com...
and the recipe: http://www.nytimes.com...

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

I substitute extra firm tofu for paneer in many Indian dishes, particularly mutter paneer (Paneer & green peas) or saag paneer. Simply marinade the cubed tofu in olive oil, salt turmeric & red chilli powder for about an hour & toss into the gravy along with the peas.

Don't bother - eat something that HAS a taste!

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

There's a good reason that Asians have been eating tofu for eons -- you can make delicious foods with it, the fact that it's good for you taking second place. It is sometimes called meat without bones. It can be adapted for Western style foods (fried tofu sandwich and tofu dogs are 2 we eat, but you can get much more sophisticated); it can sub for other proteins in many dishes; you can let it take you to Japan, Indonesia, Korea, China... I hope you will continue to explore the possibilities long after Lent is over!
I would recommend you use fresh or water-packed tofu, preferably firm, to start with, and preferably organic or at least labeled "made with non-GMO soybeans" for the best quality -- it does make a difference in flavor.
If you want to expand your understanding, get "The Book of Tofu". That was the book that really taught Americans what it was all about.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I'm not a fan of tofu either, but there are a lot of great vegetarian recipes on this site. One of my favorites (as in, I make it almost every week) is Rivka's http://www.food52.com/recipes... . You can spice the yogurt any way you like, and you can crisp up other vegetables with the onions. It's a simple recipe and really wonderful. Also try pauljoseph's http://www.food52.com/recipes... . It's delicious and adaptable to what you have on hand. If you really wanted tofu to add more protein, I imagine you could soak the tofu in the spices as panfusine does.