Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

Menu idea for both meat and fish eaters

I’d be grateful for menu thoughts. Hosting Christmas Eve dinner for 12-14. About two-thirds of guests are meat eaters and one-third pescetarian (fish only).

I am settled on one of these two tenderloins:
http://food52.com/recipes...
http://food52.com/recipes...

I was thinking a risotto like this Shrimp with Asparagus and Peas would work as the main for the fish-only folks and also as the starch side for the meat eaters. (Extra shrimp provided for the fish-only folks.) With a simply-prepared colorful veg like roasted carrots, beets, or root vegetables, etc. And of course there will be hors d’oeuvres, salad, desserts.
http://food52.com/recipes...

I’ve made the risotto before and I think it would be fine on the plate with the tenderloin and red wine sauce – it’s not too lemony and I could even skip the preserved lemons in the risotto.

I just don’t know what else to do for the fish-only eaters without getting too crazy. Coquilles St. Jacques is a beautiful Christmas classic but I think too rich as a side for the tenderloin.

Any other ideas? I don’t want the fish eaters to feel like they’re riding second-class.

asked almost 3 years ago
720c1c6d 40ca 459b 86c8 325b3c8b54bf  image

How about a pan-roasted Monkfish? it's a hearty fish that can stand up to you using similar seasons and techniques as the tenderloin, not to mention the presentation would be similar. It's also something that you don't see everyday, and so very delicious.

Kelly, do you mean, like a whole fish? That would be gorgeous but then I'm stuck making an additional dish, a starch, for everyone. Yes, I'm whining. ;-) Anyway, I love the idea and wonder if you know of a particular recipe?

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

I like the risotto idea. Go for it!

Pegeen- I think with Monkfish you only get the tail, which is shaped almost exactly like a tenderloin. (As I recall, the head of the fish is REAL ugly.) I have to admit, I've actually used both of the recipes you're using on Monkfish tails, with adjusted cooking times, of course :) It's a sturdy, hearty fish that I find is REALLY delicious when you out a mustard crust on it. I figure bu doing this, you can literally treat the fish like meat and save you a little headache!

Kelly, good tip about the monkfish body. (Who wants a hideous fish face on the table at Christmas? There's enough drama going on.) Anyway, I will talk to my fish guy tomorrow. I was hoping to avoid cooking a fish but maybe it's the best way to go... Thank you!

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

LOL!

Meg, thanks. The pairing of tenderloin and risotto/shrimp seemed OK to me but I can't really tell because I'm insane from gift shopping. :-)

671b6c39 4898 435f 92c5 89cd9b925088  img 3788

As a former pescatarian, now omnivore, I can say I would have been thrilled with the prawn risotto. In fact, even though I eat meat, that sounds like the star of the feast. You don't need to add another fish dish to make this a feast. With some salads and veggies and dessert, this is a great menu.

Thanks, Lloreen. It's still the best thing I can think of to provide a starch and fish without having to do an extra dish. All ideas welcome, though!

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

I'm thinking that the monkfish suggestion is a really good idea. Shrimp is not my favorite crustacean to put in risotto. But monkfish pan seared (the poor man's lobster) and cut up would actually work well.

I'd probably opt for a separate fish course and then make a universal side that's more seasonal. But I'm a veg who eats fish and I'm always happy just eating sides, too. I often even prefer it. One suggestion would be a polenta that you can serve unadulterated for the meat eaters and with either an eggplant or mushroom topping for the pescaS. Recipes on this site.

My computer at work doesn't let me agree, but I totally agree with lloreen. You aren't running a restaurant, and you don't need another fish/seafood entree. The meat eaters can have risotto as a side, but I would do another starchy side (maybe couscous - it's so easy). I'm also going to suggest that many of the meat eaters may go with the risotto. I love to do shrimp and/or scallop risotto! and all my diners love to eat it as well.