Last day! Take 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go grant some wishes » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

I would love to make flatbread like what gyros or souvlaki sandwiches are wrapped in.

I want to make soft, slightly thick wrappers for something like Greek-style fajitas. I have tried oiling and griddling pita from the store (too dry, too stiff) and using store-bought nan, but can't get that great chewy, flexible texture I get at Greek restaurants. Is there any way to do this at home?

asked by LeighBee over 5 years ago
E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Try this recipe. it's really easy! (but mine didn't come out perfectly round like lapadia'a)

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

A lot of places use "Lavash Bread".or "cracker bread" it's similar to pita bread, but no pocket. It's very flat and wraps easy...like a burritto wrap as you said. http://mideastfood.about...

I find it tricky to make..and skip the sesame seeds in the recipe linked. It's never quite as plyable as the purchased product.
Fortunately there's a good specialy market that sells it here.
Try asking the resturant if they use a local supplier or make their own.

765d9b47 398e 4325 ad62 088963d558fe  lavash

BTW: I forgot to mention, or stress the most important step for lavash bread. Docking the dough after you roll it out as thin as possible. I use two sheets of wax paper and roll the dough out roughly. Square it up and put on a top sheet and roll again. Dock with fork (the holes keep bubbles from forming when cooking..and use the paper to invert on a inverted sheet pan and dock it some more.

Still I almost always make it too stiff to wrap properly. It's great fun tho...at worse, you've just some very good homemade crackers to use for dips. (Greek Nachos are my back up plan when I do this). Good luck! It's fun to try.