There is a restaurant chain called Olga's that makes gyro sandwiches. Their pita bread is cooked fresh--or, at least it used to be, things change. But the bread was soft and did not have a pocket. They serve the fillings in the folded over bread. I don't know if this is authentic to middle eastern cuisine, but it is delicious. Does anyone have a similar recipe for this kind of bread?

asked by jayne_brown over 7 years ago

Here's lapadia's pita recipe: http://www.food52.com/recipes...
I've made them and they're really good. But they do have a pocket. I've had the pitas you describe (we call them puffy pitas) and I'm curious to see if anyone else has a recipe because those are my favorite.

It's probably a thicker style of Lavash bread. The authentic is thin with a cracker like taste, but still soft, but there is a Gryo place around here that uses that type of bread (made in house). Try that as a starting search point.

Gale

I think what you want is sometimes called Greek Pitta - thicker with no pocket, soft & pliable. Try a grilled flatbread (I make Mark Bittman's Lebanese flatbread-great and the dough keeps in refer a day or 2). It can be made as thick or thin as you want and I just grill on a stove top griddle. It's really easy, come out pliable and wraps well around gyros or kebabs.

latoscana

In Greece, they serve souvlaki sliced right off the skewer into a waiting pita - no attempt to use the pockets, just the whole puffy round pita with a dollop of tzatziki on top, then folded over, like a wrap.

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks