Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

Is there much difference in taste if you pickle with salt instead of vinegar?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 5 years ago
0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Depend on what you're pickling. Somethings need the acid of vinegar. But try it without or use lemon juice for the acid bit.

Salt and cabbage work well without vinegar. Add some caraway seeds, and red pepper flakes in the brine.
Cucumbers work well too. Soak them in the brine..with addition of a touch of sugar. Use in salad. IMHO. I think those need some acid tho, lemon or lime juice if you don't want vinegar.

Carrots in salt brine work. But I prefer carrots more raw/pure. However those are good in shredded on salads. .

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

preserving with vinegar tends to confer the pickles a much more pungent acrid taste. whereas veggies pickled in brine tend to produce lactic acid as a result of fermentation & this acid in turn acts as the preservative. Personally, i find it to be a much more milder flavor that blends with the taste of the pickle rather than the sharp contrast of vinegar.