Can I substitute lemon juice for vinegar (1:1) in a vinaigrette?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 7 years ago

Yes, you can, any time you want. I almost always use citrus (primarily lemon) juice for my vinaigrettes because that makes them MUCH more wine-friendly.

We also enjoy the brightness the lemon brings.

Totally agree, lemon juice brightens the dressing in a way vinegar does not. Sometimes I add grated lemon zest to my vinegarette to take it to another level.

I mostly agree with the previous answers as I use citrus all the thyme. BUT an aged Spanish jerez vinegar is a beautiful thing, far superior to supermarket fakeola "balsamics". And certainly wine-friendly as well. I have a bottle of De Soto at hand and it has a wonderful fragrance.

dymnyno

I think that citrus gives a vinaigrette a softer bite of the acid than vinegar. But, that said, there are a lot of great vinegars. White vinegars and red vinegars, all have a "job" depending on the recipe. And then there are flavored vinegars like tarragon vinegar which can make a real difference.

CookOnTheFly

Yes, you can. My former Gluten-free boyfriend didn't tolerate vinegar well so I always substituted lemon juice. Your other alternative is Vitamin C powder mixed with water, about 1/4 tsp or Vitamin C powder to 1 TBSP water.