Want to make a pearled barley salad with lemon vinaigrette that's not super-oily or greasy

Hi! I want to make a pearled barley salad dressed with a vinaigrette but whenever I that can be eaten at room temperature but how do you make a dressing that for a cold grain salad that does not congeal in the fridge?

Amanda Hesser March 2, 2012

What kind of oil are you using?

puttakka
puttakka March 2, 2012

olive oil

Amanda Hesser March 2, 2012

You might want to try a different oil like vegetable oil. Olive oil congeals in the fridge; veg oil does not.

Meatballs&Milkshakes

If you add it while the grains are warm, it generally gets absorbed and won't congeal unless you add too much. I usually make a lemon, honey, and olive oil vinaigrette that I use on all sorts of grains.

puttakka
puttakka March 2, 2012

Thanks to both of you! Can you suggest a vinaigrette recipe (or share yours)? Should I use more acid than normal and less oil?

Meatballs&Milkshakes

I generally make mine half lemon/orange juice and half olive oil with a tablespoon or two of honey depending on how sweet your citrus is. Add salt and pepper and check for seasoning. Sometimes I have to heat up the juice a bit so the honey will dissolve when I whisk it together. You can definitely use vegetable oil as amanda recommends as well.

Amanda Hesser March 2, 2012

You're welcome! I do find that grain salads can take a lot more acid than leafy salads. Here's a grain salad recipe I wrote about and the oil and vinegar are used in equal amounts: http://www.food52.com/recipes...