Want to make a pearled barley salad with lemon vinaigrette that's not super-oily or greasy

Hi! I want to make a pearled barley salad dressed with a vinaigrette but whenever I that can be eaten at room temperature but how do you make a dressing that for a cold grain salad that does not congeal in the fridge?

asked by puttakka over 6 years ago

What kind of oil are you using?

puttakka

olive oil

You might want to try a different oil like vegetable oil. Olive oil congeals in the fridge; veg oil does not.

Meatballs&Milkshakes

If you add it while the grains are warm, it generally gets absorbed and won't congeal unless you add too much. I usually make a lemon, honey, and olive oil vinaigrette that I use on all sorts of grains.

puttakka

Thanks to both of you! Can you suggest a vinaigrette recipe (or share yours)? Should I use more acid than normal and less oil?

Meatballs&Milkshakes

I generally make mine half lemon/orange juice and half olive oil with a tablespoon or two of honey depending on how sweet your citrus is. Add salt and pepper and check for seasoning. Sometimes I have to heat up the juice a bit so the honey will dissolve when I whisk it together. You can definitely use vegetable oil as amanda recommends as well.

You're welcome! I do find that grain salads can take a lot more acid than leafy salads. Here's a grain salad recipe I wrote about and the oil and vinegar are used in equal amounts: http://www.food52.com/recipes...