🔕 🔔

I'm making a caramelized fennel and orange salad that calls for a sherry vinegar/dijon mustard vinaigrette BUT I don't have sherry vinegar. I have red, white wine, pomegranate, balsamic and apple cider vinegars. Which should I use as a decent replacement? Thanks!

asked by glp almost 7 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I'd go with a mix of balsamic and one of the wine vinegars - which ever tastes best to you. It won't be exactly like the sherry vinegar, but a rough approximation and should work. (I seriously just tasted vinegar combos vs. sherry vinegar to try to figure this one out.)

I second that, but go easy on the balsamic. Just a drizzle should be enough, not a 50/50 mix with the wine vinegar.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

The mustard is such a strong taste, I doubt that the subtle nature of the sherry vinegar would be detectable.

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

I would think a combination of red wine and pomegranate might be good with fennel and citrus (which sounds great, BTW). Sherry has such a deep, grape flavor, even in vinegar, and I wonder if pomegranate would also echo those fruit tones.

Ec30261f e677 492c 9ab6 670678db31fd  dscn3372

One of the wine vinegars would be nice, or you could use lemon or lime juice in combination with the citrus in the salad. I make a lot of fennel and orange salad, and always use citrus juice in the dressing.

05885cb3 2f3a 49b6 bf28 234ab16a59fb  j10

yu-uhhhmmmm you should upload this recipe on your profile. and i like latoscana's thoughts on the subject.

I don't find sherry vinegar subtle or sweet. To me it is really distinctive and assertive. There isn't really a replacement, but any vinegar will do instead of none in a pinch and you have some good suggestions above.