how do you make chicken fried rice, like you get in chinese restaurants?

asked by @Katie_KitKat over 7 years ago

wssmom

Here is a recipe from Robert Irvine:

3 large eggs
salt and pepper
Vegetable oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into thin strips
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
4 cups cold, cooked rice
6 scallions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish, optional
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Directions
Beat eggs and season with salt and pepper. Coat the bottom of a medium-sized skillet with a bit of oil and use half the eggs to make a flat omlette; remove and repeat with remaining eggs. Place one omelette on top of the other and coarsely chop. Set aside.

Toss the chicken with sesame oil. Heat 3 tablespoons vegetable oil over high heat in large frying pan or wok and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, then add the onion and garlic and stir-fry until onion has softened. Add 2 tablespoons more vegetable oil and when hot, stir in the cooked rice and green onions, tossing and mixing thoroughly until very hot. Sprinkle with soy sauce and mix; stir in cooked egg.

CookOnTheFly

The key to any fried rice is cold, cooked rice. Whenever I make rice I always make extra for this purpose.