fried rice

What do American Chinese restaurants put in fried rice to give it that particular flavor? Most recipes I see just use soy sauce although some add oyster sauce. Neither gives it that same flavor you get from a restaurant. Thank you for any help you can give me.

asked by Barb Cook about 1 year ago

That particular flavor (a kind of smoky slight caramelized flavor) is likely coming from a searing hot wok. Home stoves aren't capable of the high BTU heat that the restaurants can have.

Though there is this contraption that was on Kickstarter, not sure if it's made it into the market,http://www.seriouseats...

Barb Cook

Thank you! At least now I can stop looking. I'll check out that contraption.

My Friend Maillard

I make "fried rice" whenever I have leftover grilled vegetables. The grilling creates that extra depth of a commercial wok and to get the sticky sweetness I add slowly caramelized onions, garlic and ginger. Then I crisp the rice after steaming and stir it all together. Certainly not traditional and creates more dirty dishes, but I find that the extra flavor is worth it.

Barb Cook

Thank you! It might be worth a shot.

Summer of Eggplant

Golden Mountain Seasoning.

Barb Cook

Thank you! That's the easiest one - I'll try to find some of that.

Summer of Eggplant

At least that is what we use in combination with some soy sauce as well. It tends to be sharper in flavor.

scruz

i usually add a splash of toasted sesame oil or if i have it, homemade char siu which i make with sesame oil.

To get that flavor at home. You're going to need a gas burner and a wok.
And yes...as mentioned before restaurants have screaming hot burners.

At home Look for a table top gas burner...and get a round bottom wok.
https://www.amazon.com...
Most Asian stores have those and the gas canisters.

Still they're not quite as resturant hot enough. So you have to have a game plan:
Do the cut up veggies first in the wok...remove them.
Then the meat bits...remove and reserve them.
add more oil to the wok between each addition.
Finally. add lots of oil and turn that thing up...and fry that rice.
And keep it moving....and season it with soy sauce...etc.

Finally. either remove the entire bit...or push it out of the way to fry a couple of eggs (again with oil addition). let those cook and reincorporate the rice/veggie/meat mixture.
The soy sauce should be done before the eggs....you don't want brown eggs.

The rice should be leftover rice from the day before. Freshly cooked rice will make a soggy 'wet dog' mess. Use yesterdays rice that's a bit dry.

MMH
MMH

Cook in peanut oil and always use fresh ginger

Barb Cook

Thank you everybody! I have much to do.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Barb - Here's one of my favorite fried rice recipes. I often substitute a high quality lard for the oil to accentuate the pork flavor. https://food52.com/recipes...

Barb Cook

Thank you, Trena. I appreciate the recipe and the lard idea. I think I even have some.