Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: My Grandmother's Tomato Bisque: Cast iron and tomatoes!

77318eed 18b3 4fa7 95b3 b4c9fdabc7d8  tomato

I'd love to know why this recipe specifically calls for a cast iron pan. I've only (accidentally) cooked tomatoes or other acidic things in a cast iron pan a couple of times, and had horrible results. Is it a matter of time? I've always used a well-seasoned pan, but the finished dish was positively bitter and metallic. So what gives? And couldn't the same result be achieved with another sort of pan? This soup sounds lovely, and I trust that it works, but I'd like to understand it a little better.

asked by sarah k. over 5 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

When you cook acidic things in cast iron, iron will leach into your food (not necessarily a bad thing healthwise, especially for women or vegetarians.) I'm guessing since you are not working with tomato juice you don't get too much metallic taste in this. I'd guess you could use a non-stick pan with similar results if you are okay with using non-stick.

The recipe says to put the tomatoes face down for 10 minutes, then flip them and cook another 5. Doesn't that seem like enough time to develop an off taste? I mean, I always avoid cooking tomato based things in cast iron, while I use it for everything else specifically for the iron benefits (especially while I was pregnant and borderline anemic), but I'm telling you, the stuff I've done with tomatoes in cast iron was positively yucky. I also cooked up some livers once in that pan, and they had a vinegar sauce that was inedible. Is it a long simmer that causes the pronounced yuck? Is 15 minutes just not long enough for very much to leach? Is this going to change the way I make curry?

15-minutes is not that long. If you're afraid, you could do a single tomato, and just taste the tomato after the cooking to be sure. I assume A&M made it per recipe specs and were pleased with the result.

E2da9853 0fa2 434a 9133 0e8780c4885a  soup

Yes indeed, you are all correct - works better with all clad or non stick. It just has to be a good, heavy pan.