Can I season a cast-iron pan with coconut oil?

I've been seasoning my cast iron pan with olive oil before but I ran out. Is it okay to season a cast-iron skillet with coconut oil? How about other oils? Like grapeseed, canola, butter maybe? I use my pan frequently so I'm not super scared of spoilage.

asked by Karen Diep over 4 years ago

Catherine Lamb

Yes! You definitely can, and coconut oil is also great for cast-iron skillets because it can reach much higher temperatures than animal fats can.

spiffypaws

Cook's Illustrated rec flax seed oil. I tried it on one of my cast iron skillets and it seemed to work really well.

I use coconut oil to keep wooden spoons in good shape--works well!

cratecooking
cratecooking

Susan is a Recipe Tester for Food52

All sound like great options but would steer away from the butter. It can go rancid if it's left on the skillet for a period of time, and also burn at a fairly low temperature compared to the smoking points of the other oils.